Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Not really sure

So, today I talked with one of the biology professors here at knox, and all of a sudden, Im not sure if I want to study animal behavior anymore. I love animals, but I'm not sure if I can see my self doing experiments on animals for the next 4 years, let alone possibly for my career. The experiments that they do are not cruel, the animals are not hurt and are eventually released. But, we do have to catch them, take them out of their environment for a number of months, even a year, and do little tests with them. To see how they respond to something. Now, as I say, they are not physically harmed in any way, but what about mentally. They have no say in whether or not they want to be in the experiment. So, I love animals, but do I really have to capture them, and pock and prod them to find out how they work. Im not sure if I can really do that. I would love to study animals, but in a different way. One that takes the lives of the animals them selves into account. Not just the benefit of the findings that the scientists get awards for. Im not really sure what to do....
I know I want to study creative writing, and I am beginning to really get into gender and women's studies, but Im not sure about animal behavior any more. Im not sure what else I could do with animals that doesn't involve keeping them in a cage for months on end...

No comments:

Post a Comment