Friday, September 25, 2009

Gender and Women's Studies

Last night I went to another SASS meeting (students against sexism in society), and I began to think that I would want to minor in gender and women's studies. I looked online, and there are a lot of interesting courses available here at knox. Especially the ones that have to do with women of color, and the role of gender is society. There is also a class on gay and lesbian identities. Im not sure if I would be able to handle the load, but I would love to major in creative writing and double minor in animal behavior and gender and women's studies. I have also looked at a lot of interesting books on gender and feminism. The guerilla girls have a lot of great books. One that especially looks interesting is about the role of women in art through out history. Another really interesting books is by Kate Bornstein called "My Gender Workbook: How to be a real man, a real women, the real you, or something else entirely". It takes a different look at gender makes it much more fluid, much like sexuality is. It seems really interesting, and I would love to see what it changes about my ideas of my own gender. The club last night, sass, also made gave me a wonderful feeling that I have never really felt before among women that I am not related too: sisterhood. A connection that is based on the love of women, and the wanting of protecting them everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment